Enrollment in Communication-Intensive HASS (CI-H/HW) subjects is capped at 18 or 25 students each. When pre-registration began on May 1, we introduced a new CI-H/HW enrollment process which replaces the HASS-D Lottery and optimizes students’ subject choices within priority groups. In the fall it also will create waitlists for all CI-H/HW subjects with up-to-date information on openings in these subjects. The new online process is more consistent and transparent.
The reason for the early deadline is to help departments add or delete sections to meet student interest. This should lead to more students getting the subjects they want. It is also hoped that the early deadline will encourage you and your advisor to talk about your subject selections while you are both on campus.
Overview of the new process:
- Prior to the deadline, you can request to be scheduled for up to two CI-H/HW subjects and designate whether you want to be waitlisted, in case you don't get in.
- You also have control over alternative subject choices – you can choose up to two alternatives for each subject.
- If you miss the June 16th deadline, you no longer have the option to be scheduled. You can add yourself to subject waitlists, but your request will be prioritized lower than students who met the deadline.
Visit the enrollment tools website to get details on the new CI-H/HW enrollment process, including all the key dates, the prioritization algorithm, waitlist process, and answers to FAQs.
Benefits of the new process:
- You will now know, before classes begin, in which CI-H/HW subjects you are enrolled.
- Waitlists will be managed online in a consistent process across all CI-H/HW subjects.
- You will be able to add and remove yourself from waitlists easily.
- Instructors will be able to view their waitlists online and offer enrollment via email.
Online waitlists will eliminate the confusion that occurred at the beginning of each semester as students attended multiple subjects to find openings.